Friday, November 14, 2008

Samaxi

Sorry it has taken such a long time for me to get a new blog posted. The Peace Corps is having us send everything to our country director to make sure it is suitable for "posting". Truthfully, I don't care all that much. It only bothers me that I have to wait to post my opinions on this, that and the other. Then again I have yet to be told to change something... then again this is the first post I am sending in to be reviewed. I understand we work for the Peace Corps and that they have a right to be concerned with the image we put forth. I just take minor issue, and it is minor, for having to wait. Call me impatient, but that's me.

Okay so here is some big news...

Emma and I are going to Shamaha, or Samaxi, or Shamahku. It all depends on how you decide to translate the pronunciation. It is a town located about 2 hours northwest of Baku. We are very excited. It is sad to think about leaving our host family, but the idea of finally getting to our permanent site is pretty nice. Just to clarify, we have been living a bit outside of the capital of Baku, learning the language and picking up technical skills that will help when we finally get to our permanent site, Samaxi. In all, we will be in training a little under 3 months. We will then be at our site for 2 years. Here is a link to what wikipedia has to say about our town - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaxi.

Everything else has been great. We took a weekend trip to Baku. Our two clusters, language classes, spent the night at my teacher's parent's home. In all we had 10 trainees spend the night. I will post a blog about the evening as I have some awesome videos of us playing a new game called, "Songs in a Hat". As in, you have two teams and they put songs in a hat. The songs are then drawn by a player and that player must sing it, sans music, for at least 10 seconds. Believe me the videos are amazing! Yes, there was Copacabana... and it was fantastic.

Well I need to get going as it is getting dark. Hope all is well.

Mathias

3 comments:

Sworddancer said...

Samaxi! (or as Eleanor calls it, Shapoopee!)

Lisa Leeper said...

Hey, I just want to thank you for getting "Copacabana" stuck in my head. What a gift. Seriously, it is great to read up on how you two are doing. Thanks for posting when you can, even with the inconveniences -- love you both, praying for you,

Lisa Leeper

löki gale said...

:)

lgt