Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It's all about who you know

About four days ago, tired from what seemed like a month's worth of travel, I entered my home to find the restful faces of a host family I wasn't expecting. They said hi, waited an hour and then told me we had to go...

Promptly I called Emma and then anyone else that might have been able to help. Within two days we had visited five homes and had decided on our current three room apartment.

When we moved from our first host family's house in April 2009, we were given very few options and it took a while to find a suitable home. However, a year and a half later, I finally feel as if we have made it. We have made it because of the people we have gotten to know.

Today, I took this "It's All About Who You Know" point a little further.

Internet usage in the regions of Azerbaijan is pretty small outside of Internet Clubs. However, we have been fortunate enough to have Internet at our last three residences. The first time we moved it took forever to transfer the coverage from one house to the other. This was because those who have Internet at home DON'T make a habit of moving and thus the people from whom we receive our Internet had little to no experience with transferring coverage. However, this time was very different.

I went in yesterday and spoke with the man in charge of all Internet whatnot in Samaxi. Being that I had done this before, he knew who I was and why this was an issue. However, in true Azeri fashion he hinted that if I wanted to get the Internet transferred I would have to pay him a bribe. I playfully told him that I don't pay bribes and was relying on his Azeri hospitality to help me out. Unhappy though he was, he said that the change would take place the following day (today).

Today I got up and checked the Internet... nothing... so being in a proactive mood I set off for the Internet office. When I arrived, I was told that the man with whom I had been speaking was no longer working there (Maybe because he was taking bribes... though probably not). They also told me that because of this, the very soonest I could expect to have anything changed over would be the first of July. That was of course unless I wanted to pay a full month's amount for the eight remaining days in June. If I did that they could probably help me out. I declined the offer and decided to call in the help of a friend.

The aforementioned friend works in the Internet connectivity office. Over the last year he has helped me out an incredible number of times concerning telephone and Internet issues. I explained the issue and he just smiled, taking note of the point that ONLY this other man could get me my Internet. That, he said, was absolutely wrong. He told me to go home, call his office from my home phone and then he could set us up.

I ran home, picked up the phone and found it dead. Worrying that I might be taking too long I called in the help of another friend. This man was a telephone repairman that had been very kind to me over the year and always said to call if I needed help. Thus, I called, he came and he fixed my telephone problem. An issue that otherwise might have taken two days, was handled in less than two hours. So, after a quick call to my friend in the connectivity office we had Internet. A small victory in the war against unstable housing situations and shoddy infrastructure, but a victory nonetheless.

Really when I look back at the events of the last week I can't help but believe it really is all about who you know.

-Mathias

Photos of the new place will be posted soon.

No comments: