Friday, December 18, 2009

Women's Cultural Exchange

Thank you so much for such a great response!! We had over a dozen women respond with a lot of diversity and insight. Special thanks to those of you who passed the link along to other friends.
I compiled your answers and we read them aloud as a group on Thursday. Everyone told me that they really enjoyed hearing and thinking about what you wrote and two of my excellent students had a great opportunity to practice their translation skills. Currently everyone is working on their own responses to your questions which they will turn in to me on Tuesday. After I get them translated and typed up I will be sure to share them with you (Inshallah before Christmas!)
Until then I thought I'd share a few of the thoughts that were expressed this week.

Regarding clothing: "We've learned that almost all American women wear pants. And mostly jeans! "(Including moms!)

Regarding Jobs: One of the girls made a comment about something that I completely take for granted. She said she realized it really is true that in America women can do any job they want-they don't have to choose only between housewife, teacher, or doctor. I personally was surprised by how much pleasure I took reading about your work as Businesswomen, Members of the Arts Community, Lawyers, Soldiers, Priests, Stay at Home Moms and more!

Regarding "How they Live"-The girls pointed out to me that not a single respondent lives with her family (And not one woman in our group here lives alone). I think this was the biggest cultural difference of all and a thought-provoking one.

Regarding Men-The biggest reaction of the day was to this sentence "I do all the washing and cooking and my husband washes the dishes and cleans the kitchen. He also vacuums and takes care of the yard. " I could hardly finish reading before the chatter became uncontrollable. Some were surprised or delighted about the husband doing work part. Some declared they are moving to America (or at least finding American husbands!).

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write to us. It was encouraging just to me to remember how much is possible if you are born a girl in America. I'll go out on a limb and say I think it was encouraging to my ladies as well.

Stay Tuned Next Week: Azerbaijani Women's Answers!

No comments: